Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kindergarten Prep

My how time flies, I can hardly believe that my little boy will be starting kindergarten in a few short weeks. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. In order to easy my anxiety I have been reading lots of blogs and organizational sites about back to school preparation. A few things that I will be working on in the coming weeks are:
  1. Paper, Paper, Paper (Where does it all go?)
  2. Homework
  3. Message Board
  4. Entryway organization (that backpack has to go somewhere)
  5. Clothes (What and How many of this and that does he need)
More than likely since little man will require supervision with homework, this will take place in the kitchen. Do your kids do homework in the kitchen?

One of my goals in regards to homework is to create a homework station that has all of the supplies that he needs. This is going to involve some purging and organization in the kitchen, because we all know how difficult it is to store all the stuff in the kitchen that we NEED let alone all the EXTRAS.

Wanna see a sneak peak at what I think I can use




This is going to be a challenge so stay tuned to see how we are going to get organized before the school year starts. So what are you doing to get prepared for back to school.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I just had to return the favor. It's been many many years since my son had his first day of school *smiles* but I remember we did homework in the kitchen at the table. And it WAS a challenge because there was so much other stuff going on at the same time. But it was the obvious choice because a)no tv, b)table, c)grandma & me were in there preparing dinner, and d)he came in the back door of the kitchen. I think your cabinet is lovely, I hope you post how you organize it to fit in with your homework station plans cause I'd love to see. Good Luck and just remember, none of us are old enough to have kids in school (even if it's college in my case) *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! I have taught many kids who have ADHD in the past few years. It is my belief that these children do well in a Montessori environment. I believe all children can succeed with Montessori because it allows the child to thrive at their own pace. While the children do work individually, they are not necessarily "alone." The teacher and assistant model and guide all of the children. I have found that kids with ADHD do really well because there is freedom to move around the room without being bound to a desk. They also have some choice in what works appeal to them, which results in concentration on that work. However, traditional schools now have increasingly taken some aspects of a Montessori education into their style of teaching. So, I suspect that your child will have centers and things that allow him to move. Of course, you know your child best and your judgment on what fits them should be what guides your decision. Also, some Montessori schools are better than others. If you are interested in it, my advice would be to observe the Montessori classroom one day. See if the dynamics of the class will work well with your child. I'll be glad to answer any more questions! Hope this provides you with some information.

    Oh, and I love the homework station idea. It's actually very Montessori! Hope your child has a wonderful kindergarten year! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...